At ASIA’s biennial symposium, guitar builders and players of all skill levels gather to learn, teach, and play guitar. It is also a great place to see, try, and buy traditional to modern jigs and tools, and select the choicest guitar wood from the myriad vendors who attend. ASIA puts together an incredible program that is sure to increase your skill and pleasure in pursuing luthiery.
The 2011 ASIA Symposium was held June 8–12, 2011 at East Stroudsburg University in East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania.
This year’s event was a rousing success. 240 members attended the fun and informative workshops, soaked up the delightful atmosphere, and many came away with some great bargains from the exhibiting vendors and auction. Guitarmaker Issue 77 was dedicated to the symposium, and Issues 78 Special, 79, and 82 contain the special CITES/Lacey Act presentations. Keep reading to see some photos to remind you of what you saw, or let you know what fun you missed.
One of the reasons members love to visit the ASIA Symposium is the chance to purchase great tools, jigs, accessories, or that perfect set of tonewood. This year, time is set aside just for visiting the vendors, so you'll not miss a single workshop. These great dealers will surely try to make your dreams come true at the 2011 Symposium:
- Allred Associates—carbon fiber products
- Carl Barney—tonewood
- CF Martin Custom Shop—drool-worthy guitar display
- CF Martin Guitarmaker's Connection—tonewood, fretboards, and guitar kits
- RC Tonewoods—tonewood
- Duke of Pearl—abalam™, mother of pearl, inlay stuff
- Blues Creek—jigs and tools
- Luthiers Mercantile—tonewood, tools, and parts
- Hibdon Hardwood—tonewood
- Stewart MacDonald—tonewood, tools, and parts
- Hiscox Cases—guitar cases
- Custom Pearl Inlay— dro0l-worthy guitars, inlay tools and supplies
- Petros Guitars—guitar display
- Reitz Hardwoods LLC—tonewood
- Colonial Tonewoods—tonewood
- West Penn Hardwoods—tonewood